Wildlife SOS faces scrutiny in a leopard poaching investigation after two suspects reportedly alleged links to the organisation. The NGO denies wrongdoing as investigators examine the evidence.
Madhya Pradesh investigators are examining alleged links between a prominent Delhi-based conservation organisation and a leopard poaching network after two arrested suspects reportedly claimed they were acting on the instructions of Wildlife SOS chief executive Kartick Satyanarayan. The organisation has denied the allegations.
A major investigation into an alleged leopard poaching network has widened to include Wildlife SOS, a Delhi-based conservation organisation known for its wildlife rescue and anti-poaching initiatives.
The Madhya Pradesh State Tiger Strike Force (STSF) is examining the alleged role of the organisation after two men arrested in connection with the seizure of leopard skins reportedly told investigators that they had been working on the instructions of Wildlife SOS CEO Kartick Satyanarayan.
The allegations remain under investigation and have not been established in court.
Investigation began with seizure of 10 leopard skins
The case originated on July 23, when the Uttar Pradesh Forest Department intercepted a vehicle on the Gwalior-Agra highway and recovered 10 leopard skins. Four people were arrested at the spot.
Wildlife SOS, which operates a Forest Watch anti-poaching programme, had credited its surveillance efforts with helping alert authorities about the seizure.
Madhya Pradesh authorities subsequently launched a separate investigation to establish the origin of the skins and identify the larger network allegedly involved in the killing and trafficking of leopards.
Raids conducted in the Sheopur and Morena forest divisions resulted in the arrest of seven more suspects. According to investigators, the men confessed to poaching 10 leopards from areas including the Kuno wildlife landscape, Sheopur forest division and the Chambal Sanctuary.
Officials said leopard body parts, skeletal remains and leg-hold traps were also recovered during the operation.
Two suspects arrested in Delhi
The investigation later moved beyond Madhya Pradesh.
A joint team of the State Tiger Strike Force and the Wildlife Crime Control Bureau arrested two suspects in Delhi. One of them, Waseem Akram, was taken into custody on August 13 and was identified by officials as an employee of Wildlife SOS.
The second suspect, Bhagwan Singh alias Salim, was arrested on August 11. Forest officials have described Singh as a long-time wildlife trader and alleged that he had been associated with the organisation's payroll for several years.
Investigators reportedly questioned both men about their alleged links with the poaching network.
According to officials, the suspects named Kartick Satyanarayan during interrogation and claimed that their activities were being carried out on his instructions.
Based on these statements and other evidence, the STSF issued a notice directing Satyanarayan to appear before the investigating officer in Shivpuri on August 17.
The notice and questioning do not, by themselves, establish criminal liability.
Investigators examine alleged WhatsApp network
The investigation has also reportedly uncovered digital evidence that officials believe could help establish the structure of the alleged network.
Additional Principal Chief Conservator of Forests L Krishnamurthy said investigators had established what he described as the "backward linkages" of the operation, referring to alleged suppliers, while the "forward linkages", including potential buyers, were still being traced.
Officials are also examining a WhatsApp group allegedly involving NGO members, suspects arrested in Sheopur and Morena, and members of an ironsmith community from Haryana. Investigators believe discussions on poaching and metal traps took place within the group.
The digital evidence is now central to determining whether the accused operated as part of a wider wildlife-trafficking network.
A more serious allegation under examination
The investigation has raised another potentially significant question.
Officials are reportedly examining whether some wildlife seizures previously publicised by Wildlife SOS could have involved animals allegedly poached specifically to be "recovered" later.
One case being examined reportedly dates back to 2023 in Tamil Nadu's Sathyamangalam forest.
If investigators establish such a pattern, it could fundamentally alter the understanding of the organisation's anti-poaching operations. However, at present, this remains an allegation under investigation rather than an established fact.
Investigators are also examining digital material to determine whether the alleged network was operated for financial gain and whether there was any direct connection to wildlife trafficking.
Wildlife SOS rejects allegations
Wildlife SOS has rejected the allegations and defended its anti-poaching activities.
In a statement issued on August 17, the organisation said its conservation work was being unfairly targeted. It maintained that it had acted in good faith when it alerted Uttar Pradesh authorities about the original leopard-skin seizure.
Satyanarayan reportedly did not respond to calls, emails or social media messages when the allegations first emerged. The organisation subsequently issued its statement after the notice requiring him to appear before investigators became public.
The investigation is expected to determine whether the allegations against the organisation and its senior leadership have sufficient evidentiary basis to lead to further criminal proceedings.
Kuno raises a wider conservation concern
The case has also raised concerns extending beyond the alleged leopard-trafficking network.
Wildlife activist Ajay Dubey has called for a high-level inquiry, arguing that the alleged killing of 10 leopards within the wider Kuno landscape raises questions about the security of other wildlife species in the region.
The concern is particularly significant because Kuno is also the centre of India's ambitious cheetah reintroduction programme.
The investigation therefore has implications not only for the protection of leopards but also for the broader management and security of wildlife in one of India's most closely watched conservation landscapes.
Wildlife SOS's long conservation history
Wildlife SOS was founded in 1995 by Kartick Satyanarayan and Geeta Seshamani. The organisation has worked on wildlife rescue, rehabilitation and conservation programmes across India.
Its work has included efforts involving sloth bears, elephants and other wildlife, while its anti-poaching initiatives have sought to assist forest authorities in detecting and preventing illegal wildlife activity.
In Madhya Pradesh, the organisation has worked with the state government since 2006 and operates a sloth bear rehabilitation project at Van Vihar National Park in Bhopal.
The present investigation therefore places a prominent conservation organisation under an unusual level of scrutiny.
What happens next?
The crucial question now is whether investigators can corroborate the allegations made during interrogation with independent evidence.
The statements of arrested suspects, digital communications, financial records, employment links and evidence recovered during the raids could all become important in determining the next stage of the investigation.
For now, Wildlife SOS has denied wrongdoing, while Madhya Pradesh authorities are continuing to investigate the alleged poaching and trafficking network.
The outcome of the investigation and any subsequent legal proceedings will determine whether the case remains focused on individual accused persons or expands into a wider probe involving the organisation and its leadership.
The allegations against Wildlife SOS and Kartick Satyanarayan should therefore be treated as allegations at this stage, pending the completion of the investigation and any determination by the competent court.
Madhya Pradesh investigators are examining alleged links between a prominent Delhi-based conservation organisation and a leopard poaching network after two arrested suspects reportedly claimed they were acting on the instructions of Wildlife SOS chief executive Kartick Satyanarayan. The organisation has denied the allegations.
A major investigation into an alleged leopard poaching network has widened to include Wildlife SOS, a Delhi-based conservation organisation known for its wildlife rescue and anti-poaching initiatives.
The Madhya Pradesh State Tiger Strike Force (STSF) is examining the alleged role of the organisation after two men arrested in connection with the seizure of leopard skins reportedly told investigators that they had been working on the instructions of Wildlife SOS CEO Kartick Satyanarayan.
The allegations remain under investigation and have not been established in court.
Investigation began with seizure of 10 leopard skins
The case originated on July 23, when the Uttar Pradesh Forest Department intercepted a vehicle on the Gwalior-Agra highway and recovered 10 leopard skins. Four people were arrested at the spot.
Wildlife SOS, which operates a Forest Watch anti-poaching programme, had credited its surveillance efforts with helping alert authorities about the seizure.
Madhya Pradesh authorities subsequently launched a separate investigation to establish the origin of the skins and identify the larger network allegedly involved in the killing and trafficking of leopards.
Raids conducted in the Sheopur and Morena forest divisions resulted in the arrest of seven more suspects. According to investigators, the men confessed to poaching 10 leopards from areas including the Kuno wildlife landscape, Sheopur forest division and the Chambal Sanctuary.
Officials said leopard body parts, skeletal remains and leg-hold traps were also recovered during the operation.
Two suspects arrested in Delhi
The investigation later moved beyond Madhya Pradesh.
A joint team of the State Tiger Strike Force and the Wildlife Crime Control Bureau arrested two suspects in Delhi. One of them, Waseem Akram, was taken into custody on August 13 and was identified by officials as an employee of Wildlife SOS.
The second suspect, Bhagwan Singh alias Salim, was arrested on August 11. Forest officials have described Singh as a long-time wildlife trader and alleged that he had been associated with the organisation's payroll for several years.
Investigators reportedly questioned both men about their alleged links with the poaching network.
According to officials, the suspects named Kartick Satyanarayan during interrogation and claimed that their activities were being carried out on his instructions.
Based on these statements and other evidence, the STSF issued a notice directing Satyanarayan to appear before the investigating officer in Shivpuri on August 17.
The notice and questioning do not, by themselves, establish criminal liability.
Investigators examine alleged WhatsApp network
The investigation has also reportedly uncovered digital evidence that officials believe could help establish the structure of the alleged network.
Additional Principal Chief Conservator of Forests L Krishnamurthy said investigators had established what he described as the "backward linkages" of the operation, referring to alleged suppliers, while the "forward linkages", including potential buyers, were still being traced.
Officials are also examining a WhatsApp group allegedly involving NGO members, suspects arrested in Sheopur and Morena, and members of an ironsmith community from Haryana. Investigators believe discussions on poaching and metal traps took place within the group.
The digital evidence is now central to determining whether the accused operated as part of a wider wildlife-trafficking network.
A more serious allegation under examination
The investigation has raised another potentially significant question.
Officials are reportedly examining whether some wildlife seizures previously publicised by Wildlife SOS could have involved animals allegedly poached specifically to be "recovered" later.
One case being examined reportedly dates back to 2023 in Tamil Nadu's Sathyamangalam forest.
If investigators establish such a pattern, it could fundamentally alter the understanding of the organisation's anti-poaching operations. However, at present, this remains an allegation under investigation rather than an established fact.
Investigators are also examining digital material to determine whether the alleged network was operated for financial gain and whether there was any direct connection to wildlife trafficking.
Wildlife SOS rejects allegations
Wildlife SOS has rejected the allegations and defended its anti-poaching activities.
In a statement issued on August 17, the organisation said its conservation work was being unfairly targeted. It maintained that it had acted in good faith when it alerted Uttar Pradesh authorities about the original leopard-skin seizure.
Satyanarayan reportedly did not respond to calls, emails or social media messages when the allegations first emerged. The organisation subsequently issued its statement after the notice requiring him to appear before investigators became public.
The investigation is expected to determine whether the allegations against the organisation and its senior leadership have sufficient evidentiary basis to lead to further criminal proceedings.
Kuno raises a wider conservation concern
The case has also raised concerns extending beyond the alleged leopard-trafficking network.
Wildlife activist Ajay Dubey has called for a high-level inquiry, arguing that the alleged killing of 10 leopards within the wider Kuno landscape raises questions about the security of other wildlife species in the region.
The concern is particularly significant because Kuno is also the centre of India's ambitious cheetah reintroduction programme.
The investigation therefore has implications not only for the protection of leopards but also for the broader management and security of wildlife in one of India's most closely watched conservation landscapes.
Wildlife SOS's long conservation history
Wildlife SOS was founded in 1995 by Kartick Satyanarayan and Geeta Seshamani. The organisation has worked on wildlife rescue, rehabilitation and conservation programmes across India.
Its work has included efforts involving sloth bears, elephants and other wildlife, while its anti-poaching initiatives have sought to assist forest authorities in detecting and preventing illegal wildlife activity.
In Madhya Pradesh, the organisation has worked with the state government since 2006 and operates a sloth bear rehabilitation project at Van Vihar National Park in Bhopal.
The present investigation therefore places a prominent conservation organisation under an unusual level of scrutiny.
What happens next?
The crucial question now is whether investigators can corroborate the allegations made during interrogation with independent evidence.
The statements of arrested suspects, digital communications, financial records, employment links and evidence recovered during the raids could all become important in determining the next stage of the investigation.
For now, Wildlife SOS has denied wrongdoing, while Madhya Pradesh authorities are continuing to investigate the alleged poaching and trafficking network.
The outcome of the investigation and any subsequent legal proceedings will determine whether the case remains focused on individual accused persons or expands into a wider probe involving the organisation and its leadership.
The allegations against Wildlife SOS and Kartick Satyanarayan should therefore be treated as allegations at this stage, pending the completion of the investigation and any determination by the competent court.
Leave a Comment