
Bihar’s streets echoed with slogans on June 9, 2025, as opposition leaders accused the Election Commission of tilting the electoral playing field. The political atmosphere turned intense as opposition parties took to the streets, raising strong objections over the revision of the electoral roll. The protest was led by major political leaders including Congress MP Rahul Gandhi, RJD leader Tejashwi Yadav, CPI general secretary D Raja, and CPI(ML) leader Dipankar Bhattacharya. They accused the government and the Election Commission of India (ECI) of manipulating the voter list for political advantage, especially ahead of the upcoming Bihar Assembly elections and the 2024 Maharashtra Assembly elections.
The issue began when several opposition parties claimed that voters’ names were being deliberately removed or changed in the electoral list. They said this move was unfair and targeted mainly at voters who did not support the current ruling alliance. The leaders alleged that many names from opposition strongholds had been removed without any explanation or notice.
According to Rahul Gandhi, the voter list revision was a “mockery of democracy.” He pointed out that the same strategy was used during the 2024 Maharashtra Assembly elections, where the voter turnout was reportedly low in certain constituencies. He claimed that the BJP-JD(U) government was trying to rig the upcoming elections by using the same method in Bihar.
Tejashwi Yadav went further to say that the BJP had a “Maharashtra model” of rigging elections, and they were now trying to apply it in Bihar. He accused the ECI of acting under political pressure and not working independently. He alleged that the commission had ignored voters’ rights by allowing such large-scale errors in the electoral rolls.
Dipankar Bhattacharya from the CPI(ML) said the deletion of names was being done in the name of removing “duplicate voters.” However, he added that in reality, many genuine voters had been removed from the list. He called the move a “fraud” and said that the government was scared of losing public support.
The opposition has demanded an immediate stop to the revision process and a full investigation into how the errors happened. They are asking for a transparent and fair voter list so that every eligible citizen can vote without any issue.
In response to these accusations, the ECI released a statement saying that no political party is allowed to interfere in the voter list process. The commission claimed that it had followed all rules and that any voter who found their name missing could approach the booth-level officers to correct the mistake.
The ECI also clarified that the current revision was being done according to a schedule that was already published. The draft rolls would be out by August, and the final list would be released in November 2025. Officials said that this timeline would give voters enough time to correct any issues before the elections.
Despite this, opposition leaders remain unsatisfied. They have announced plans for more protests in the coming days. Their goal is to build pressure on the government and the Election Commission to ensure that the elections in Bihar are conducted fairly.
What makes the situation more serious is that Bihar has a history of tight election results, where every vote can make a difference. Any mistake in the voter list can seriously impact the outcome and the trust people have in the election process.
The people of Bihar are now watching closely. Many are worried that their votes might not be counted if their names are removed. Civil society groups have also urged the ECI to take these complaints seriously and to take corrective actions wherever needed.
As the deadline for electoral roll corrections approaches, citizens are urged to verify their voter details and speak up—because in a democracy, every vote is not just a right, it’s a voice.